Wednesday, April 20, 2011

inspiration: peasant cottages and princesses


These sweet little places just make me want to wear my hair in a Pride and Prejudice bun all day, with a book in my hand and a long skirt. I've decided that when I get older, I'm going to find myself a sweet little house and plant myself in there, and read and draw and paint and be a little snow white. I can already see it: overgrown ivy, and natural flowers (and weeds) growing everywhere, with a little round door and a dainty pink mailbox. The biggest room will be a comfortable library, and the rest of it will be mini-sized, as small and clever as I can get it. I'll be just like the little teacher in Roald Dahl's Matilda!
Marie Antoinette, the last queen of France, even had a soft spot for these tiny abodes. She lived in Versailles, the most spectacular court in Europe, and still yearned for an itty bitty getaway. She had a little peasant village built not far from Versailles, where she retired from court life on and off for months at a time. So lucky!


this is it! how precious!


Above: THE PRETTIEST LITTLE PEASANT I'VE EVER SEEN.
I might add that there's something so sweet and mystifying about Snow White. She's the most beautiful girl in the world, with the rarest natural looks, and she sings-- yet she's humble. She patiently waits for her prince to come. How lovely!
When I was little, I used to feel bad because I had dark hair; all the Disney princesses had blonde hair, only the villains had dark hair. Then-- Snow White. Snow White now serves as one of my inspirations, with her pretty dark looks, and pale, pale skin. Now, you'll never find me tanning or coloring my hair!
And guess what-- Snow White lived in a cottage with seven itty bitty men!


What is it about princesses that interest us? We live in a country that prides itself on equality, individualism; yet no girl can deny that inside her, there is the wish to be a princess, to dress up in fine gowns and be the beauty of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment