Tuesday, May 10, 2011

CHOMP! CHOMP! Food For Thought.

Tumblr_ljzs5qr3jd1qzipvbo1_500_large

"All mankind is divided into three classes: 
those that are immovable, 
those that are movable, 
and those that move."
--Benjamin Franklin

WAIT, WHO NOW?
  • called "the first American"
  • writer, printer, thinker, inventor, statesman (what have you done recently?)
  • wrote under the pseudonym "Silence Dogood" when he was a young writer
  • obsessed with perfection-- he had a chart that he made with common sins/virtues and checked them when he accomplished them each day. (he always failed with vanity.)
  • had to be nannied during the Constitutional Convention-- he attended, but he was eighty years old and a little loopy
It saddens me to think that few people have pride in America anymore. We're so caught up in how much we hate the government or hate each other that we forget what makes us distinct. Hate is a universal phenomenon; it isn't unique to us. This year, taking U.S. History has been a moral and intellectual challenge; it's a strange thing to confront the history of your nation and decide what you think. Are we exceptional? What is it about us that makes us ourselves? Why are we such a successful country? What are our goals as a country? What is my role in my country?
Don't get me wrong, I am fascinated with the rest of the world. When I pick a specialty for my history major, it will probably be Renaissance/medieval Europe. But still, I'm proud to be in America. I'm proud of who we are, and of what we represent. There's something rugged and individualistic about us, and I think that's special. I just wish sometimes that everyone else could see that.

*my first edition of "chomp! chomp! food for thought"; I think I'm going to do one every week.
*I do have an outfit post prepared, but I'll post it tomorrow since it's my lazy day. (Gotta get up at the butt crack of dawn!)

No comments:

Post a Comment