Sunday, June 12, 2011

ballin'

Tumblr_llaha0fa2q1qbrr2to1_500_large
I have a serious dream of someday going to a ball. I want to dress up in pretty gowns and see the men in their nice coats and ties-- I want to sparkle and shine and smile and be lovely. What little girl doesn't want to have her hair pulled and braided and combed into some work of art, and play with makeup like a painter to his canvas?
(I went to a laundry room rave tonight. I wore nothing special: soft ball t-shirt and shorts. I straightened my hair. I guess I didn't realize there was no real dancing at a rave, just bouncing and awkward grinding. BIG FAIL. We went outside of the laundry room and played Ninja and Little Sally Walker. Much better.)

Today, we had no classes, so we ran a few errands and walked around downtown Martin a little. I fell completely in love with their little coffee shop and its iced coffee. Splendid. I'm definitely going to get a souvenir there at a later date.
We also went into a sweet little art shop that was displaying various interesting pieces. Two little old men were running it, and they asked us about Governors School and told us a bit about the local art pieces. It was simple magic, I loved it.
credit: ?
credit: Naomi Ballard
 credit: Naomi Ballard
credit: ?
 credit: David Frazier
 credit: David Frazier
credit: David Frazier
This one was one of my favorites. It's so eerie and primitive; I could sit and stare at it and think up a whole folktale to explain it. Beautiful.

Tomorrow, I'm writing a few papers and finishing an art project (a Japanese Noh Mask). Hopefully I'll post some photos of it? Maybe I'll excavate a few pictures of my weekend to share; I wasn't using my camera much, but some of the girls were.

good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment