Thursday, August 18, 2011

lizzy, lizzy

dress: thrifted
cardigan: thrifted
shoes: target

We're discussing Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice this week in English, and I felt very Lizzy Bennett in this outfit today. In the 2005 Kiera Knightley movie, Lizzy's dress is pretty and feminine, but understated, humble, as if she had just stumbled from the field where she was reading a book. I love the entire feel of the movie (although it's not entirely true to the book) because it seems to sigh and smile and laugh at the same time. It's definitely one of my favorite feel-good movies, and it continues to be an inspiration for me when I feel like dressing a little simpler, a little more bookish... as if I could step outside and see Mr. Darcy with a proposal on his lips :)
The dress is actually denim, which is ideal because denim dresses hold their structure well and don't blow up or hike up randomly when I sit down. I love the jumper look of it, but it's simple and perfect for late summer. My grandpa sweater is a new acquisition, and it will reappear several times this fall.


I want an excuse to hold a Regency ball like the Netherfield ball in the book. How much fun would it be to pin your hair up and wear long, flowing white gowns with feathers and beads and fans, drinking champagne and pretending to be rich? It sounds delightful to me.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." --Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

No comments:

Post a Comment